Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wisdom Teeth Surgery

Yesterday, around 3 in the afternoon I had to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. I was light-headed and slightly nauseous so I had to lay down for a while and slept for a few hours. I vomited in the garage once when we got home, but that's probably because I ate a big breakfast 7 hrs prior to the surgery. I thought I'd be okay since I couldn't eat or drink 6 hrs. prior, but no worries now. I feel somewhat back to normal other than tired and hungry.

This was a pending surgery because I knew and felt them back when we were stationed in Texas in 2004. My x-rays at that time showed that they hadn't erupted, but there was that chance. The dentist recommended removal of them because if not they could possibly cause tumors or worse cancer, which is rare. So, five years later my top wisdom teeth had erupted and my lower ones would most likely next. Three of them were impacted while my bottom right tooth was growing in sideways! Keeping that in would have allowed it to grow into the adjacent teeth and cause major damage.

I was nervous being this was my first surgery ever and I've never been sedated before. All went well though, despite my jaw area on my right side becoming swollen while eating breakfast yesterday. I think that small pieces of food may have slipped in the area of my gums on my lower right side. The oral surgeon put antibiotics in my IV just in case. Doing so, would lessen my chances of infection if the area that was swollen had gotten infected with lodged food. But this morning after the anesthesia and novacaine have subsided, I'm just feeling slightly tired but somewhat normal. The swelling on the right side prior to the surgery has pretty much disappeared!

The kids weren't having an easy time though. Kristian was looking for me all afternoon and last night, and he was extremely fussy with Chris. I can't nurse him for 48 hours (well 36 hrs from now), so he's upset and has been refusing the bottle! Kai had witnessed me vomit on the floor in the garage
when we got back home (with my bloody gauze and omelette from the morning, yuck! haha) and was scared to be around me afterwards! She kept asking, "are you okay now Mama?" It's actually kinda funny! She asked to be around her dad instead of me last night! She couldn't even give me a kiss on the face. She kissed my arm instead! =p

Oh man, I can't wait to eat solid food soon!


P.S. Joan, sorry I don't look as bad as we predicted! HAHA So there probably won't be any YouTube videos on me drooling while I try to eat! AHAHAHA

Chris thinks I'm weird, since I'm okay and he was in significant pain after his wisdom teeth surgery in Germany! He looked it too! HA! He says I look pretty much back to normal today! But hey, let's just hope there aren't any repercussions in the days to come! ;)

Oh and it wasn't as bad as natural childbirth! I just went to sleep, then woke up when they were finished! I think the co-pay amount was the worst of it!! hehe =)

No comments:

Post a Comment