Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cooking with a Crock-Pot


February 24, 2011 - About two weeks had gone by and most of the snow melted, but on this evening, it came back. Another snow storm came through dropping about 3 or more inches of snow on and off the entire weekend. After I picked up Kailani from her after school club, I began shoveling the walkway, driveway, and sidewalk. I'm just thankful it wasn't another two feet of snow! 

So, it was a perfect chance for me to try out my birthday present I found at the nearby Goodwill. I found this large crock pot among other treasures while browsing the aisles. At $10, I thought it was a great buy! It was my first time ever using a crock-pot. We have a Presto pot that we have been using to slow cook, but never had an actual slow cooker. 

In the morning, I prepared all the ingredients for Chicken Adobo and set it on low for 8 hours. I wanted to see how it would turn out, so I intentionally set it that long to somewhat simulate coming home to it after work. I did notice that my chicken thighs were bulky and sticking out of the broth, so halfway into its cooking time I turned them over. The Adobo smelled really good while it was cooking! 

Slow-cooked Adobo

Chris' plate of Adobo

The end result of our slow-cooked adobo was that it was very tender, but probably would have done better if it wasn't cooking the entire day. The signature flavor of the soy sauce and vinegar marinade wasn't noticeable and it could have been because the chicken thighs were not skinless and had produced a lot of oil that mixed with the sauce. Next time, we'll see if cooking for a shorter period of time and using skinless chicken will make it more tasty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment