January 14, 2011 - Yesterday evening, Kailani had her First Reconciliation. In the Catholic Church, this is a sacrament in which sins that are committed after Baptism are forgiven through confession to a priest. We had been preparing all semester in CCD class and finally the big day came. All of the students (and myself) were nervous! It can be a scary thing to confess all of your wrongdoings to someone you don't know. Although it was difficult for Kailani to understand, it was amazing to see her (and all the other children) walk out of their confession with smiles on their faces! What a relief!!
Since I am the 2nd grade CCD teacher, I was busy taking attendance and making sure all was in order. I did get to sit with Kailani, Chris, and Kristian before the confessions began, but then I had to direct the families and children. Chris had to watch Kristian as I did my duties, but there were moments when he and Kailani (and Chris) would run to me and stand with me. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take pictures or video clips. But that's okay. You would have noticed all the nervous children and parents' faces before confession time. But, then after that was finished you could see relieved and more relaxed faces on everyone! We had pretzels and lemonade in the chapel annex afterwords, and our family was the only one that brought our dinner from Wendy's.
Now, we've got a semester to learn and prepare for the sacrament of Eucharist, or Holy Communion. Chris and I were just talking and we're trying to figure out what to do in case he's not here. He's scheduled for a TDY on May 3-4th and right now we don't have the exact day or time as to when he has to leave. May 1st is Kailani's First Communion and May 2nd is her 8th birthday!!! I hope he leaves after Kai's First Communion because I'll need someone to look after Kristian while I'm seated with Kailani and the other children..
Since I am the 2nd grade CCD teacher, I was busy taking attendance and making sure all was in order. I did get to sit with Kailani, Chris, and Kristian before the confessions began, but then I had to direct the families and children. Chris had to watch Kristian as I did my duties, but there were moments when he and Kailani (and Chris) would run to me and stand with me. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take pictures or video clips. But that's okay. You would have noticed all the nervous children and parents' faces before confession time. But, then after that was finished you could see relieved and more relaxed faces on everyone! We had pretzels and lemonade in the chapel annex afterwords, and our family was the only one that brought our dinner from Wendy's.
Now, we've got a semester to learn and prepare for the sacrament of Eucharist, or Holy Communion. Chris and I were just talking and we're trying to figure out what to do in case he's not here. He's scheduled for a TDY on May 3-4th and right now we don't have the exact day or time as to when he has to leave. May 1st is Kailani's First Communion and May 2nd is her 8th birthday!!! I hope he leaves after Kai's First Communion because I'll need someone to look after Kristian while I'm seated with Kailani and the other children..
1 comment:
Glad everything went well!
Post a Comment