Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quality Counts: State Report Cards 2011

Page 5: Quality Counts 2011

Here's the annual report for how states are doing in education. Most of you know how disappointed I have been with Nebraska's overall quality of education, and here are the most recent statistics that show how they've been getting worse every year since we've been here (we've lived here for 3 years). I know I'm not a fan of Midwestern living so much, but having taught here and worked with the curriculum as well as their standards and assessments, and keeping up with current educational trends, I continue to strongly feel negatively about the quality of education Kailani is receiving!!! 

But don't worry, Kailani is truly a good student. And, I haven't yet felt the dire need to supplement her education. It's just hard knowing that she could be learning and doing more based on my previous experiences with better school districts across the nation and overseas! She reminds me of myself at her age, but surprisingly enough, she is less shy than I was as a primary student! She has always been a very intelligent child and this year her 2nd grade teacher even noticed. Although she has yet to be tested, she has since been recognized as gifted (here they refer to it as HAL: High Ability Learner)! Regardless of how her testing may result--they officially begin to test students when they're in 3rd grade--we already know how very "gifted" and talented she is and will continue to be, especially with her artwork! =)

It's funny how for the longest time, I thought of Virginia Beach as a small city (and while compared to others it is), but after having left 7 years ago and having the opportunity to travel the world, I realize that there were some perks to being at home! For instance, if you missed my Facebook status in September 2010, my hometown of Virginia Beach, Virginia ranked 5th among the largest U.S. cities in top public schools. In 2009, 2010, and 2011, the state of Virginia ranked 4th with their overall quality of education!
Page 5: Quality Counts 2010

As for Nebraska, in 2009 they ranked 47th among the 51 states (that includes Washington D.C.). In 2010, they ranked 49th and now into 2011 they are at the bottom with 51!!! 

The following articles and documents share the recent reports:

I cannot wait until we finish this last year here!!! For our family, the low cost of living and Nebraska's poor quality of education (in regards to public schools)--although, I will mention that BPS (Kai's school district) ranks in the top rankings here in this state--is still not enough for us to justify even the thought of retiring here. So, if you live locally and are stationed here just like we are and happen to come across me having a friendly debate with the military retirees or soon-to-be military retirees, or anyone else for that matter, about the quality of education nationwide and comparisons to Nebraska's state of education to Virginia's state of education, or even to DoDDS (Dept. of Defense Dependent Schools) in which we have lived and worked as well, I hope this at least helps you to understand some of what I discuss with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment